This is a very useful glossary of aquaculture terms, often with pictures, tables, and equations.The Artedian is an ichthyological collection management system based on MS-Access2000.
The Artedian is an ichthyological collection management system based on MS-Access2000.
This site provides a desktop version of the GARP software for modelling of distributions from point data. A manual is also available.
A collection of several biological textbooks that are fully available online, including Darwin's 'Origin of Species.'
Overview of specimen photos available online at the California Academy of Sciences.
- A database with a list of all living cephalopods, including
information on names, distribution, predators and prey.
Coral Reef Institute
- Offers training in environmental management.
CRIA Species Link
- This is a page with tools for biodiversity research, such as niche modelling, geo-referencing of localities, detection of outliers in point data, or conversion of different formats.
Database of marine organisms of Mauritius
The database contains taxonomic data on the marine species reported from the Republic of Mauritius.
DeepFin is a research coordination network (RCN) of systematic ichthyologists and biologists
with expertise in the analysis of fish biodiversity, seeking to integrate knowledge of morphology,
paleontology, molecular biology, and bioinformatics.
- Development of a Curriculum and Training Material on the Rearing of Fish
- We will develop training material and a curriculum for use in
training courses for fisheries and hatchery managers in developing countries, to enhance
their capability to rear fingerlings for aquaculture, stock enhancement, and for the
re-establishment of local fish populations.
- Dictionary of Ichthyology
- This is the most comprehensive dictionary of fish and fishery terms that we are aware of. With permission we have adopted some terms for the FishBase Glossary.
- Digital Taxonomy is an attempt to present a wide-ranging
resource of information for biodiversity data management in the World Wide Web. The page
provides a number of links on software, methodologies, standards for data exchange, and
information sources related to biodiversity data management, with emphasis on the exchange
of *free* scientific software tools (preferably those including *source code*), computer
techniques, and software developers' Internet addresses.
- A site with a collection of useful links
and tools related to fish, fisheries and aquatic biodiversity.
- Elasmo World
- A site with over 3000 references on elasmobranchs.
- A site that offers, among others,
identification help based on the National Audubon Society Field Guides,
for fishes and other species groups.
Endangered Fish Alliance
- The Endangered Fish Alliance is a group of concerned food professionals who support sustainable seafood choices by not serving four endangered fish: swordfish, Chilean sea bass, orange roughy and certain types of caviar. All members are also encouraged to use our website to learn about the state of the world's fisheries before choosing other types of seafood for their menus or their inventory.
Center for Taxonomic Identification
- Several scientific and educational
computer aided information systems.
- FAO Fisheries Department gives an information on the world's
fisheries and aquaculture.
- This is a collection of highly useful programs for estimating
population dynamics of fishes.
- A site with information about popular aquarium fishes as well as links to web sites that sell aquarium fish and equipment.
Fish Link Central
- WebRing is a site with many useful links related to fish.
Fish Posters of the World
- A collector's site showing over 500 posters of fishes with information where to obtain them.
Fish stamps (in Japanese)
Compilation of fish stamps of various countries
www.fishartist.com is a website dedicated to fisherman containing a collection of fish art,photography,oil paintings,and watercolours of fish from around the world.
The FishCode project strives to provide knowledge of the status and trends of capture fisheries, including socio-economic aspects.
A site with discussion forums about saltwater fishing.
Florida Museum of Natural History (FLMNH) Underwater Fish and Shark Photo
- Underwater Fish and Shark Photo Gallery, with some biological profiles.
Freshwater Fishes of Russia
- Web site dedicated to the freshwater fishes of Russia.
- A PDF file with a bibliography of over 1000 references of the impacts of fishing gear on seabed habitats and benthic communities.
- Project proposes specifically targeted, strategic research towards the development, application, and integration of a series of
databases, tools and concepts suitable to contribute to the goals set by the World Summit on Sustainable Development for a sustainable
reconciliation of multiple demands on coastal zones. Project duration 2005-2008.” Portal
- IWR compiles online resources of scientific and educational value into an organised
directory. Online content
has links to diverse pages covering topics relevant to ichthyology. Its "Taxon pages"
directory is especially extensive, containing links to pages on many groups of fish. Ichthyology community
has links to ichthyology societies, conferences, a directory of
ichthyologists, etc. Places has links to
academic institutions, government branches, museums, etc.
- The international ImMunoGeneTics database
with information and sequences on immunoglobulins and T-cell receptors
from fish to human.
- JBL Online Laboratory
Based on analysis of water parameters this web site provides guidance on common problems encountered in home aquariums, such as unwanted algae or mortalities.
- Kosher fish
- This site gives list of kosher and non-kosher fishes.
- LarvalBase Website
- LarvalBase will be a comprehensive
information system on fish larvae that are relevant in the field of finfish aquaculture,
combining traditional sources such as primary and grey literature. In
addition, unofficial data from various sources as Internet and from practicing
aquaculturists, even in developing countries, will be regarded.
An art and science based resource portal website dedicated to the
protection and conservation of coral reefs, other oceanic environments
& rain forests.
and the Biosphere Species Databases
- Vertebrate Animals Reported
from Biosphere Reserves and other of the World's Protected Areas. (data
are being served by the Information Center for
the Environment at U.C. Davis.)
Marine Aquarium Council (MAC)
- An international, multi-stakeholder
network establishing standards and certification for quality and
sustainability in marine ornamentals collection and trade.
Marine Fish Conservation Network
A US coalition of over 175 environmental and other organizations
dedicated to educate policymakers, the fishing industry, and the public
about the need for sound conservation and better management practices.
Marine species identification manual for horizontal longline fishermen
The overall aim of this manual is to improve and increase the amount and accuracy of catch data provided by domestic tuna longline
fishermen in the Pacific region when they complete their catch and effort logsheet.
Marine Stewardship Council (MSC)
- The Marine Stewardship Council promotes products from well-managed and sustainable fisheries.
- Museums and Collections Website for Philippine Fish Specimens
- Searchable database of fish specimens collected in the Philippines kept in museums worldwide. Search the collections of 8 Philippine museums and universities and 26 other museums worldwide (54,921 records, 3,350 species). This database is a subset of the museums and collections data in FishBase.
- NEODAT provides an interface to 24 collection databases and allows to search for occurrence records of neotropical fish.
New England Seacoast Institute
- The New England Seacoast Institute is dedicated to bringing the ocean to the classroom.
- Access to over 100 marine environmental data sets.
- A site maintained by IOC, UNESCO with many useful links around Oceanography.
Pacific Shark Research Center
- This website contains a very useful Life History Table for sharks and rays of the Pacific coast of North America; it also presents links to other shark web sites.
- Peces criollos is a web site that keeps track of the freshwater fishes of Argentina.
- Ransom Myers' home page with maps and graphs about
recruitment of over 600 fish stocks.
Sea Life Portal
A web-portal that provides user-friendly, standardized access to a wide range of
distributed marine species databases containing relevant ecological information.
Simulating Aquaculture Production (SAP).
- This site provides free spreadsheet applications for simulating aquaculture production (SAP). The documentation is also available on-line.
- Species 2000
- An initiative to produce an authoritative reference file of
scientific names of all organisms.
- THE BLUE is a special edition coffee table
book of 200 pages. It features the work of some of the world's greatest
ocean authors and underwater photographers to celebrate the year of the
- The Breeders
- Provides breeding information for marine (ornamental)
- The eSeFDee Marine Sciences Portal
- The eSeFDee Marine Sciences Portal has links to: Approx. 1000
international organisations, management bodies, research institutes, information and data centres, etc.; Taxonomical and biogeographical
websites, and searchable species databases of particular relevance to the North Atlantic and/or the Mediterranean. Key documents on (marine)
biota, the (marine) environment, living marine resources and related issues. On-line marine scientific journals. Major oceanography and
marine science portals.
- The Pleurogene Project Group
- The Pleurogene Project is a Genome Canada-Genome España collaborative project that focuses on the genomics of two flatfish, Senegal sole (Solea senegalensis) and Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus). There are a series of production-related problems that would be more easily solved with improved knowledge of several basic biological processes: reproduction, development, nutrition, genetics and immunity
Tim's Tropical Fish
- Information about freshwater and saltwater tropical fish, fish care, fish facts,
discussion forum, compatibility and aquarium maintenance.
Tree of Life
The Tree of Life Web Project (ToL) is a collaborative effort of biologists from around the world.
On more than 4000 World Wide Web pages, the project provides information about the diversity of
organisms on Earth, their evolutionary history (phylogeny), and characteristics.
- A site with a complete course on underwater photography, in English and French.
United Fisheries Ltd.
A New Zealand fish company that links to FishBase.
- USGS Acute Toxicity Database
- Data on various toxic contaminants found in fish. Select a chemical, select the 'OR' option at the bottom, select a fish from the list, click on 'Run Query'.
- Wade Doak's New Zealand marine worlds
- Wade Doak's OCEAN GATEWAY portrays fishes, marine invertebrates
at the Poor Knights Islands, New Zealand; MIRROR OF THE SEA portrays the adjacent coast, mangroves and rainforest; PROJECT INTERLOCK
investigates cetacean capacities world-wide.
- World Records Freshwater Fishing
- This site presents angling and fishing records in length, weight and age for over 400 freshwater fishes.
Archive.org holds copies of previous versions of FishBase, however, only static pages such
as the search page and the home page are available. Species pages are generated on demand from
the underlying database; monthly copies of the database are archived on CD-ROM but are not publicly